Black Cinema: Uptown Saturday Night
February 24, 2010 Leave a comment
Uptown Saturday Nights
directed by:Sidney Poitier
Steve Jackson (Sidney Poitier), a blue-collar worker at a steel mill, has just begun a two-weeks-long vacation. He is convinced by his friend Wardell Franklin (Bill Cosby) to go to a party that Saturday night at Madam Zenobia’s, an uptown nightclub.
While the two are at the party, the club is robbed. The masked bandits steal all of the patrons’ loot, including Steve’s wallet.
The following day, Steve is at home and reading his newspaper when he learns he has won the lottery. However, he realizes that the lottery ticket was in the wallet that was stolen from him, and Steve and Wardell spend the remainder of the film tracking down his wallet by consulting with crooked politicians, fake detectives, con-artists, and underworld crime bosses.
- Sidney Poitier — Steve Jackson
- Bill Cosby — Wardell Franklin
- Harry Belafonte — Geechie Dan Beauford
- Flip Wilson — The Reverend
- Richard Pryor — Sharp Eye Washington
- Calvin Lockhart — Silky Slim
- Rosalind Cash — Sarah Jackson
- Roscoe Lee Browne — Congressman Lincoln
- Paula Kelly — Leggy Peggy
- Lee Chamberlin — Madame Zenobia
- Johnny Sekka — Geechie’s Henchman
- Lincoln Kilpatrick — Slim’s Henchman #1
- Don Marshall — Slim’s Henchman #2
- Harold Nicholas — Little Seymour Pettigrew